Monday, December 5, 2011

The Accidental Gang Sign



So I was walking down Sunset Boulevard, headed to be in the audience for "Let's Make a Deal" (Little-Mermaid-aerobics-instructor costume in tow) and a bus stopped near me, and this blond-haired girl toppled out wearing a floppy black canvas hat. A smile burst on her face and she flashed me a peace sign — a bold and vertically old-school 1960s "this has the power save your life sister" one, reminiscent of an upside-down Eiffel Tower.

I was so startled and wanted to return the favor, show her that I was down with her peace-iness. So I smiled back and quick went to do my own peace sign, but because of how I was holding my bag, it somehow ended up looking like this upside-down peace sign, it was very gangster.

I posted this instance on Facebook, because isn't that what you do after something like that happens?

A colleague of mine who'd grown up on the far South Side of Chicago commented, "We need to show you some real gang signs now!" I Googled "gang signs," and happened upon a photo gallery on the Huffington Post called "White People Throwing Gang Signs." These are my peeps, I suppose. I've now become inspired to start a gang called the Honkie Crocs and this little girl is my first recruit. This will be our trademark "Throwin the Croc, Rar!"

3 comments:

Spinner said...

In the senior-year photo of my graduating class at Streamwood High, a number of students got in trouble for flashing gang signs. Most of them were Latino gentlemen, but my friend Jeff, who stood with his arms crossed, both hands stuffed under his pits. Jeff, however, wasn't trying to throw a sign for El Rukn or the Latin Kings--he was trying to keep warm, because it was friggin' freezing.

**** said...

Whoa. There was some kid in my second grade class who got sent to the principal's office because the teacher detected some form of a swastika in one of his drawings. I honestly think he was just trying to draw some weird star, none of us had any idea what she was talking about.

iSapien1956672 said...

I like #15, The Fetus disciples.